Published on: Oct 24, 2023
Discover essential Botox Facts in this concise guide. choosing the right injector to understand pricing, types, aftercare, and age prevention, we’ve got you covered.
1. Choose an Experienced Injector
It might sound obvious, but the term ‘experienced’ can be misleading due to marketing tactics. The reality is that becoming certified in Botox injections is relatively easy. In fact, a nurse can become certified in just a day and then start administering injections.
So, if someone has been a nurse for 15 years but only recently got Botox certification, they technically have just one day of experience with Botox. It’s crucial to select a practitioner with several years of injection experience. This choice significantly reduces the risk of a drooping eyelid or unsatisfactory results from Botox injections. Learn more about the importance of your injector and facility here.
2. Be Mindful of Pricing
The cost of Botox can vary significantly. Neuromodulators like Dysport, Botox, Xeomin, and Jeaveu/NewTox should all be priced per unit since that’s how providers purchase them. Botox per unit price often includes factors that aren’t visible to consumers.
When a medical practice purchases a neuromodulator, they must draw it into a syringe and mix it with Sodium Chloride (NaCl) to dilute it for safe administration. The amount of dilution used is up to the individual injector. Over-diluting the neuromodulator allows the practice to use fewer units, which may make their prices seem lower. However, for clients, over-diluted Botox may last only part of the 3-4 months.
Be cautious of Botox priced below £150 or cheaper for these reasons:
- The actual cost of Botox to treat one area is £250. If you see it priced below this level, it’s a warning sign.
- You might receive more units than you actually need. Since Botox is priced per unit, the injector determines how many units are necessary for your desired results. Using more units increases the cost. Low-priced neuromodulators could lead to overdosing, which may cost the same as “higher priced” practices.
- The injector might be new to the field and trying to attract business. It isn’t inherently wrong, but it indicates less experience, and if something goes wrong with your results, it’s likely the injector’s skill, not the Botox or Neuromodulator. Regardless of where you go, your results depend primarily on the injector (90%) and the product (10%).
3. Different Types of Neuromodulators
We call Botox and similar products “Neuromodulators” because several types are available. While Botox is the most well-known, many practices carry just one or two brands. They do this because each product requires slightly different preparation, and practices become comfortable with their specific protocols.
All these products are good, but our top three choices are Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin. The differences are similar to the distinctions between Pepsi and Coke or Nike and Adidas. They are priced similarly and produce similar results when administered correctly. However, we don’t favor Jeaveu, as it typically doesn’t last as long as its competitors.
4. Importance of Good Aftercare
Once Botox has been injected into your muscles, it needs some time to settle for the best results. Follow these rules for the first 24 hours after your injections:
- Avoid strenuous exercise and heavy weight lifting.
- Don’t lie face-down on a pillow or bed.
- Skip facials and facial massages.
- Resist the urge to touch it; let it do its job.
5. Botox for Preventing Ageing
Many people start getting Botox in their mid-thirties or later. However, signs of ageing often begin in the mid to late twenties. In the world of Aesthetics, if you consider the need for Botox, you have visible lines even when your facial muscles are at rest. Botox can smooth out these lines and provide a fresh appearance.
The earlier you begin with Neuromodulators, the fewer units you’ll need over time. Some practices market “Baby Botox,” which essentially means using a few units. You can achieve excellent results with just one treatment regardless of your age.